Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Red Curry Peanut Butter Cookies








YES! I think I've finally crafted my signature recipe.

Yayayyayaya!!!


These were inspired by the Green Curry Banana Bread my roommate Patricia brought home from Momofuku Milk Bar. The bread was brilliant, and on my way home today I was thinking about a way to spice up the peanut butter cookies I wanted to make, and my mind drifted to the half jar of red curry paste I had left... fate was sealed.....


OK, so the recipe is definitely an approximate, but just try it please!!! I want to see how other people's comes out! Mine came out perfectly spiced, chewy, soft, sweet, salty, spicy, ah. Just wonderful.


Ingredients:



1 1/2 cups Self Rising Flour (this is what i had at the time, YOU can just use regular plus some baking soda. same goes for the whole wheat...)

just shy 1/2 cups Whole Wheat Flour

2 Eggs

1 Cup Brown Sugar

1 Cup Peanut Butter (I recommend using the conventional bad-for-you PB, just because it contains the right texture and the right amount of salt and sugar... but if you DO use a more natural peanut butter, let me know how it works!)

1/3-1/2 Cup Butter, room temp (I didn't have quite enough to make a whole stick!)

1 tsp to 1 tbsp Red Pepper Flakes or Cayenne Pepper or Hot Paprika or something SPICY

2 oz red curry paste (1/2 of the small "Thai Kitchen" jars)

a few drops of red food coloring, or more, just for fun (quite optional)

Mix peanut butter, curry paste, spicy spice of your choice, butter, and sugar with an electric hand mixer. Add two eggs one at a time. Add the flours slowly until combined. You will have a very greasy, sticky dough. Put it in the freezer! Put a fork and your baking sheet in the freezer as well.



Here's where it gets a little time consuming, but just taking the time to do these steps will make this all much easier. Take the dough and pan out of the freezer and roll ping pong sized balls. Give a good amount of space. I was only cooking eight at a time on a large cookie sheet (they cook quickly). Once the balls are spaced on the sheet stick it back in the freezer for a few minutes. Then, quickly take the fork and press down on each ball, creating the signature peanut butter cookie cross! Bake at 350 degrees for between 3-6 minutes. Just check. Take them out when they look JUST done. Let cool for a few and then place on a cooling rack. Put the pan back in the freezer and a few minutes later repeat all steps until you have exhausted your dough.


Then eat one.


Prepare for awesomeness.


-R

No comments:

Post a Comment