Sunday, July 12, 2009

I do eat salad sometimes

photo courtesey of food.theplainjane.com


I have this thing about meals. They are very important to me. In my dream world, I would sit down for three a day, with people, and eat with leisure and pleasure and all that...


In the summer, however, things shift. All my groceries are pretty much produce, and I find myself eating said foods all day long which, for whatever reason, doesn't irk me as much as it would if it were, say, November. This is my unfortunate reason for not being such an enthusiastic poster these days.


HOWEVER, that said, I do miss my meals.


Q: But, how do you make a meal out of purely produce?

A: Salad. Hm.


I've never been a salad person, especially those really "fresh" crunchy
ones that are all iceberg, cucumbers, peppers, radishes, carrots, etc, I like all of those things, I just don't find them to be that satisfying on my plate in salad form (julienne them into a slaw however, and I might definitely change my mind).


THE POINT OF ALL THIS: There IS a salad I LOVE! And I will share it with you now.


Rachel's Summer Salad


Spring Greens
3 Large Strawberries
3 Large Brined Artichokes
1/3 Avocado
flaked salmon (optional)
pine nuts (optional)


Arrange everything prettily on a nice plate! Top with...

Dressing, whisk:

2 Teaspoons dijon
2 Teaspoons honey
1 Tablespoon lemon juice
1 Tablespoon Olive oil

I just ate this. Without the otpional ingredients, and it was awesome.


I guess the point is that I assume that one assumes the most important texture in salad is "crunchy", but I would have to disagree. Flavor wise, I think tangy is the most important, and I like salads that are soft, juicy, and even melty in a way. That might be weird, but, hey, that's me.


-R

No comments:

Post a Comment