Thursday, April 9, 2009

The Morning Roast



I can't believe I've become the morning coffee person. Truly, I don't know how this happened; I've been avoiding it for two and a half years, and suddenly I bring one bag of Oren's Special Blend home from work, and, bam, I'm suddenly the every-man.



I will say this: the coffee at my work place is really f'in good. Best cup in New York. So come in and get a cup, buy some beans. If you're one of those people that likes routine and finding solace in that one place where you can buy your favorite coffee, snack, whatever... Oren's is SO that place for many a New Yorker. Why not join the masses? Someone told me yesterday that my job as a barista essentially makes me a drug dealer. I agree.

I, personally, take my coffee black, but with sugar. Espresso, in my opinion, is best with a drop of cream and sugar.

But, I suppose the reason I am posting is to share some tips on home-brewing coffee well, which is mighty difficult, and I didn't get it right until about three days ago. Here's what Oren's Daily Roast has to say:

1. USE FRESH COFFEE: get good coffee for only a week of brewing at a time
2. USE THE CORRECT GRIND
3. USE COLD, FRESH WATER
4. USE ENOUGH COFFEE: this is essential. truly. the best. tip. ever. two level tablespoons per every six fluid ounces (1 mug of coffee)
5. KEEP YOUR COFFEE MAKER CLEAN
6. BREW AT CORRECT TEMPERATURE: not really your choice if you have an electric drip..
7. SERVE AT ONCE!

-R

2 comments:

  1. So you work at Oren's? It was my favorite coffee in NYC for years but my latest stop in hand me disappointed...was it a fluke? It tasted way more acidic than usual.

    ReplyDelete
  2. well, since each day, a different bean is highlighted, you may have come across, perhaps, a more acidic bean, rather than a smoother blend... although, it also just could have been brewed poorly, or you caught your cup at the end of the canister.... :(

    ReplyDelete