Saturday, April 25, 2009

Artichoke Pizza/Suteishi Sushi











Pizza and sushi are, respectively, very high on my crave list, and I had the opportunity to savor both this weekend.

I'd never been to Artichoke, so Brian and I headed over to Stuy Town before a concert to pick up a few slices. I grabbed a Margarita, he, the signature Artichoke and a Sicilian and off we went.

Artichoke is the place to go if you want a departure from the thin, crispy New York style pies. The crust is thick, chewy and greasy, in the best way. Probably the most crave-worthy is the Artichoke slice, pictured above, which features some sort of super thick cream and spinach sauce topped with cheese and artichokes. Heyyyooo.

Tonight I dined with the fabulous Meredith Doyle, and decided to check out a South Street Seaport restaurant, Suteishi, apparently a gem amongst many a bad tourist destination.

I ordered spicy tuna AND spicy salmon, because I can't get enough of either, and if I order anything else anywhere, I alwayss wish I had ordered spicy-something. Meredith ordered the avocado roll and a king crab roll. Everything looked lovely, tasted wonderful, and came out swiftly. And we got to sit outside with a view of the Brooklyn Bridge. Definitely worth it, especially if you live down here.
-R

1 comment:

  1. Ahh, Artichoke. Damn you and your long lines and the fact that you only serve Budweiser (aka piss). But they do make a mean slice.

    If you're in that same area and looking for a great Italian restaurant with top notch pizza check out Luzzo's on 1st ave between 12th and 13th. With one of the few coal ovens in NYC (they're illegal to build) it is one of the closest approximations I've seen here to the "pizza" I had in Italy.

    And while we're at it, damn this blog for making me perpetually hungry...

    ReplyDelete