Thursday, June 4, 2009

Whole Wheat Quick Bread


OK, I gave up. After living wheat free for three days, all I wanted was warm bread, with soft butter slathered all over, topped with honey or apple butter or.... SHIT I WANT IT NOW!

The solution? Quick Bread! AKA Soda Bread AKA Irish Soda Bread AKA WHATEVER I DON'T CARE I want wheat!

1 cup whole wheat flour

1 cup reg ol' flour

1 cup and a bit more buttermilk

salt

1/2 teaspoon baking soda


mix the dry ingredients together. make a hole in the center. add buttermilk. mix but do not overmix! form into a ball and place on a buttered baking sheet. make a deep cross with a knife on top of the bread plus prick a few extra spots. put it in a very hot oven (400? my oven dial doesnt have numbers WTF) for 5-10 minutes and then a medium hot oven (325?) for 10-15. the top will brown a bit and if you tap the bread with the knife, it should sound hollow. seriously, the easiest thing ever. seriously, best idea ever.
apparently, according to an article I just read about the origins of breads like these, this is pretty traditional irish table bread ... having eggs in the dough, raisins, currants, caraway, whatever, is really rare, not to mention costs a lot to the rural family, so find comfort in the fact that if you make this, you are really staying true to the people of the land!
this bread for me, is best served right out of the oven, hot, slathered with anything mentioned above. I can't even count how many times I made it this semester, but it was certainly a staple, and very cost-worthy. I decided to make it about an hour ago, and now I sit here having made it and eaten it, and written a blog about it.
satisfied.
-R

No comments:

Post a Comment